The PORTUGUESE GEOTECHNICAL SOCIETY (SPG)
The Portuguese Society for Soil Mechanics (PSSM) was created in 1951 and became a member of ISSMFE in 1955. PSSM has changed the name to Portuguese Association for Soil and Rock Mechanics (PASRM) after becoming a member of ISRM in 1962. Later in 1972 PASRM became a member of IAEG and to reflect the international membership has changed the name to SPG (Portuguese Geotechnical Society). Finally in 2006 SPG became a member of ITA and has also integrated IGS.
SPG members have been actively participating in several Technical Committees of ISSMGE, ISRM, IAEG, ITA and IGS.
SPG publishes the journal Geotecnia, with a triennial frequency, since 1971.
SPG has organized a number of international conferences, namely:
- 1st ISRM Conference, 1966
- 11th ISRM Conference, 2007
- 7th IAEG Conference, 1994
- 3rd International Conference on Environmental Geotechnics, 1998
- 2nd International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering, 1999
- 2nd International Conference on Site Characterization, 2004
- 8th International Conference of Stress Wave Theory to Piles, 2008
- 3rd International Conference on Transportation Geotechnics, 2016
The success of the mentioned events was for us a strong incentive to organize for the first time in Lisbon the XVIII European Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering.